Decoding Natural Language Search: Easy Implementation for eCommerce Merchants
Get clued up on natural language search to supercharge your customers' shopping experience.
Updated November 13, 2023.
The way people interact with technology and conduct online searches is continuously evolving. One significant shift is the rise of natural language search (NLS), driven by advancements in machine learning and natural language processing technologies. For eCommerce merchants, understanding and harnessing the power of NLS can have a profound impact on their businesses. Below, we decode NLS and guide you through what NLS is, its potential challenges, and strategies to optimize your website content for NLS queries.
Meet the Expert
What Is Natural Language Search?
This technology leverages natural language processing (NLP) and machine learning to interpret the intent behind user queries accurately.
For example, if a customer types "cute summer dresses" into Superbalist's search bar, NLS understands this is a request for dresses suitable for summer wear.
Why Is Natural Language Search Crucial for eCommerce Merchants?
NLS can help you deliver more accurate site search results and understand customers' specific needs and preferences. This includes creating a more personalized shopping experience, which in turn enhances customer satisfaction and boosts conversion rates.
Challenges and Solutions to Implement Natural Language Search
While NLS offers several benefits, eCommerce merchants may encounter some challenges when adopting this technology.
- Finding the right app or tool to facilitate NLS can be challenging, especially for merchants who don't have access to dedicated development resources.
- Properly structuring product descriptions and utilizing relevant keywords are essential to ensure NLS interprets customer queries accurately.
Platform Differences and App Integration
Which eCommerce platform you choose can significantly impact how easily you implement NLS. Platforms like Shopify, Squarespace, and Wix have a robust ecosystem of apps that can simplify NLS integration. Conversely, less popular or niche platforms may lack the necessary tools, making the process more complex.
Optimize Product Descriptions and Content for Natural Language Search
The point of NLS is to account for conversational language and context. Common mistakes to avoid when crafting product descriptions and website content include:
- Overusing technical jargon as it may hinder NLS from accurately understanding customer intent.
- Neglecting regional and cultural language differences, especially when targeting international markets.
Instead, you can try:
- Incorporating long-tail keywords to align your content with the way people naturally speak or type queries.
- Using FAQs to improve search results and provide valuable information to customers.
- Striking a balance between natural language and technical jargon because some customers may seek detailed technical specifications.
» Everyone makes mistakes: Find out how accounting for synonyms and spelling mistakes improves NLS
Harness the Power of Machine Learning
Machine learning plays a crucial role in NLS. By analyzing user interactions and feedback, machine learning algorithms improve search rankings and deliver more personalized results over time. Implementing structured data, particularly for customer reviews, enhances NLS's ability to understand customer sentiments and preferences.
» This is why it's important to personalize customer reviews
Speaking Your Customers' Language: Embracing Natural Language Search
NLS is reshaping the way customers interact with eCommerce websites. If you embrace NLS and optimize your platforms accordingly, you can provide better personalization, improve search rankings, and enhance customer satisfaction. By understanding the challenges, utilizing machine learning, and adopting effective NLS optimization strategies, you can stay ahead in a rapidly evolving digital landscape.