Merchandising in eCommerce: 4 Best Use Cases for eCommerce Stores in 2023
Find out why merchandising could be the key to success for your eCommerce store.
Updated February 25, 2024.
Effective merchandising is the linchpin for any business looking to thrive in eCommerce. This strategic art involves meticulously planning, presenting, and promoting your products for the express purpose of turbocharging your sales.
But how can merchandising reshape your eCommerce sales strategy as a whole? Buckle up because we're about to dive deep into eCommerce merchandising and uncover the best use cases for growing your eCommerce store.
Meet the Expert
1. Cross-selling and Upselling
While closely related, there is a difference between cross-selling and upselling:
- Cross-selling: You encourage a customer to buy additional products that complement what the customer is already buying.
- Upselling: You encourage a customer to a more expensive or upgraded version of the product they're buying.
As a dynamic duo, cross-selling and upselling are powerful tools in merchandising because they can boost sales and improve customer satisfaction, especially if your product recommendations are personalized.
- By suggesting customers "Complete the Look" on product pages, Princess Polly encourages their customers to keep on shopping, hopefully adding more products to their cart.
- By encouraging "The Perfect Addition" on checkout pages, Princess Polly aim to capitalize on impulse buying because the customer is at the point of purchase.
The name of your cross-selling and upselling sections should be enticing and resonate with your customers. Popular choices include:
- Frequently bought together
- Shop the collection
- You may also like
- Top picks
» Explore further how and why to use eCommerce upsell and cross-sell recommendations
2. Product Bundles
Product bundling is when you sell multiple items together as a package deal, instead of letting customers buy the items individually. This has two main advantages:
- Increased AOV: Your average order value (AOV) can increase because customers are buying more items in a single purchase. This in turn can increase your revenue.
- Product management: You can sell slower-moving items with higher margin items, meaning you won't end up with deadstock.
Spiceology, a premium spice and herb manufacturer and seller, offers a bundle deal on pickling spices. The product description clearly communicates why this is an effective bundle, plus it emphasizes value for money through the 15% off button and the slashed price.
» Try one of these product bundling strategies for merchandising success
3. Seasonal Merchandising
Seasonal merchandising means aligning your product offerings with the seasons and holidays. This merchandising strategy allows you to capitalize on seasonal demand, meaning your products match the specific needs and preferences of your customers during that season.
Plus, you can incentivize customers by creating a sense of urgency. Seasonal items tend to be available for a limited time only, making customers more likely to buy because they know the products won't be available year-round.
Steve Madden, the global fashion brand, is running a fall promotion to match the season. Once the season has passed, the discount will also fall away. This encourages shoppers to stock up their fall wardrobe now to make the most of the reduced prices.
» Improve your seasonal merchandising efforts with these tips
4. Showcasing Social Proof
You increase your credibility when you showcase real feedback from real customers on your eCommerce store. This is particularly effective in convincing first-time buyers you're trustworthy because seeing other successful transactions reduces their purchase anxiety. Social proof includes:
- User-generated content
Satya Jewelry showcases customer reviews on product pages including star ratings, verified buyer statuses, and their replies to the review. This shows their reviews are transparent and they value their customers' opinions.
Why eCommerce Merchandising Matters
- Enhanced shopping experience: Effective merchandising enhances the overall shopping experience of your customers. It makes products easier to discover, helping shoppers quickly find what they're looking for.
- Boosted sales: Just as a captivating window display draws people into a physical store, a well-structured homepage and product layout can entice online visitors to explore further. Hence, improved product visibility translates into increased sales.
- Conversion rate optimization (CRO): Proper merchandising can also contribute to better conversion rates. When products are thoughtfully presented, visitors are more likely to make a purchase and stick around to see more.
- Inventory management: Merchandising enables you to strategically manage inventory, push slow-moving products, and optimize your stock effectively.
» Enhance your eCommerce merchandising with and optimized internal search engine
Let eCommerce Merchandising Deliver Fast Results
Effective merchandising is not just a strategy—it's the cornerstone of success in eCommerce. It involves meticulous planning, presenting, and promoting your products to supercharge your sales.
As we've explored some of the best use cases for growing your eCommerce store, it becomes evident that merchandising isn't a one-size-fits-all approach. Rather, it's a dynamic set of strategies that can reshape your eCommerce sales strategy in meaningful ways, ultimately leading to growth and success in the competitive world of online retail.
» Need a merchandising partner? Discover how Fast Simon's merchandising solution can help